Monday, September 14, 2009

The Perils of Management Theory

This weekend I am helping out at my Business School. The MBA World Tour is coming to my city and I am manning a booth set up by my program to recruit potential quality candidates.
It got me thinking of my MBA experience and how it related to my experience after graduation. Granted, I think my experience was exceptional because my school stressed practicum instead theory and always tied it into real world practice through discussion and case study analysis.

In theory, the models work perfectly. The buy in is unanimous, the transition smooth and the hiccups nonexistent. Reality, however, has proven that function should dictate structure and process and not the other way around. It’s important when applying models to keep them flexible enough to adapt when reality strikes.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that the MBA is a great experience and offers a fantastic experience for those seeking a wide (and not deep) review of the management body of knowledge. More importantly, it gives you exposure to best practice for management and depending on the format, exposure to other people’s views that you wouldn’t normally get (I was in a group with a Music historian, a manager of Non profits, an engineer, a banker, a geologist and a lawyer– talk about diverse points of view!).

Some take the approach of theory as the answer. This is a mistake. Theory as a method is a better approach. Instead of using pure theory as the tool for accomplishment, use it as a road map for milestones or for best practice. Things are different when you’re talking about adherence to law. When you let the model dictate the practice entirely, you not only open yourself to the risk of failing, but you also open yourself up being thought of as trapped in theorems and dazzled by the abstract, unable to bridge the gap between the text and the application.

In closing, remember that the reason you’re doing business is for the sake of the practice, not the sake of the theory. Make sure you read the theory, and let the models influence your practice, but don’t be afraid to bend or break the rules.

Special thanks, as always to my patient editor John Murray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home