Sunday, September 05, 2004

Swearing Jews

So- I met a woman from Jdate today.

For those who don’t know- Jdate is an internet dating site- specifically for Jews. Being Jewish, and having an affinity for dating and entering relationships with Jews- I have been meeting girls now and then… mostly then- and not so much more recently, and I have found much more interesting pursuits than romance.

That’s not the intended focus of this particular creek of thought (It’s not large enough to be a stream of thought). I warn you- this may sound a little like a rant…

Anyways- the girl that I met today was perfectly nice except for 3 things.

  1. Total lack of personality.
  2. Total lack of sense of humor.
  3. Not Jewish.

OK- the first one I can see- I mean; North American culture doesn’t seem to be the spawn of passion and energy- so the people that do have personality- are rare gems.

The second one- I can also fully excuse- some people have it- some people don’t… I have it, she doesn’t- no big deal. I’m not judging.

The third- If she’s not Jewish- what the hell is she doing signing up for a Jewish web site? And it’s not like third year University when I signed up to take a Business course as an elective when I knew full well that I was a communist- because not being a communist wasn’t a given expectation of taking the course. (I’m no longer a Communist- I am, however, still a Jew).

In my view- it’s fully implied that if you’re posting on Jdate that you’re Jewish. Not only are you looking specifically for a Jew to date- but other Jews who are only looking for Jews to date can date you while feeling totally safe that you’re an MOT.

MOT- that’s pseudo intellectual code for Member of the Tribe- meaning Jewish. That’s just one more term from American Novelist Phillip Roth- who also coined the term JAP meaning Jewish American Princess. It’s one of those great terms that has become overused and lost its power in the intended meaning. Another example is the notion of “Big Brother” which has become diluted through overuse. Fascist is another one of those terms that has become diluted- even corrupted and its basic meaning has even changed from the original meaning as someone with an affinity towards the political-economic movement of Fascism- to what is today: someone who eats veal and drives an SUV.

To me- that’s the perfect example of the wonder of linguistics- the meaning of words change- it's fluid, and colloquialisms are roots of tomorrow’s language- that is- according to linguistics theory. So- embrace your curses my friends! Expel your oaths with pride and delight that you are helping push a new language forward and you are doing your part to further the study of the noble field of Linguistics.

Just stay the fuck off Jdate if you’re not a JAP.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is an offensive posting, and speaks to the sort of exclusionary tendencies (dating only people who are Jews? What about a nice Catholic? What about an Eskimo? In your narrow range, this exclusivity based on race would be labelled as anti-semitic if it weren't couched in such cautious language)

you should be ashamed of yourself, just as i would be ashamed of myself if I (a "Goy") hadn't dated a Jewish girl in university because she was, in fact, a Jew. She was a lovely, warm, remarkable girl, with a heart like a basketball, and my life would have been the lesser had I precluded her from my life....your kind of bigotry only fuels the fires of anti-Semitism, a fire which I (as a Gentile) feel ought to be extinguished..........I'm embarrassed for you...........thought this was an interesting blog......it's left a sour taste with my sensibilities............

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:45:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm sorry you found it offensive- that wasn't my intent.
I dated plenty of goys in University- and afterwards. Dating being the operative word. At this point in my life- I want to settle down instead of just date for the hell of dating, and my Judaism is important to me- so much so that the family I plan to build, I want them to be Jewish, and the only way to accomplish that in my eyes is to marry a Jew. The only way to accomplish that goal is to date Jews exclusively. I'm not asking you to agree with my position- I don't need your permission or consent.

Besides- the point of the blog is NOT that I only date Jews it's that non-Jews are on Jews only dating sites. What do you think of that Captain Anonymous. You're pretty fucking brave when you don't have to give your name and contact information, huh?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:05:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home