Monday, April 03, 2006

Germany- The Good, The Bad, and the Tasty.

Germany was great! It was definitely a great atmosphere in some ways, and ultra-creepy in other ways.

The good: the culture is extremely friendly, sincere, , polite and even playful. The food was incredible- plentiful and cheap. :P mmmmmm! Wurst, sushi and ice cream! Delish!

The bad: My sister and I stumbled on a neo-nazi rally. There's something about someone screaming in German into a megaphone that's... well... freakish. We also went and toured a concentration camp Buchenwald... less of a concentration camp and more of a death camp, actually. A camp for POW's in WWII, and Jewish children and youths. The camp was complete with on-site crematorium for their body disposal needs. That was heavy. Even thinking of it now- I get this thing in the pit of my stomach that feels a little like it's been socked.

Thinking of the neo-nazi rally- I can't really think of anything else to say other than simply creepy. I mean- there was a huge group of anarchists protesting the nazis, and trying to drown them out with whistles and shouts, but the simple fact that it's back... It's alarming and disconcerting. It honestly scares me not that they can be allowed to congregate; it scares me that they exist at all! It scares me that people think that way. It is arguably human nature; xenophobia and jingoism are constants through out history (in sinusoidal degrees of visibility or impact)- but I still cannot accept, condone or excuse it.

Oh yeah- and I stopped in Frankfurt on the way back from Weimar to the Airport. I should have listened to everyone. There is nothing to see in Frankfurt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

told ya about frankfurt -- from your european sister who adores you!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:30:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home