Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I'll tell you a secret about Superman.

Doesn’t anybody ever know that the world's a subway- a subway!
(Superman’s Dead by Our Lady Peace)
You were a great Superman, Mr. Reeve. Thanks for the memories!




I’m currently reading one of those books that everyone seems to be reading and saying it’s the book of the year- I mean it’s everywhere!

Last year it was Life of Pi that the Hip Literati were perusing- Baha’i tigers on life rafts have made way for Harvard Professors, Secret Societies, and Albino Assassins; the Davinci Code.

So far- I’m gripped! I’ve heard that the ending is disappointing, but I’ll stick with it and love every moment of the book that seems written to make me absolutely crave the next chapter like I crave a little beady eyed friend who shall remain nameless…

It’s got me thinking about Secret Societies though. One of my sisters is a big believer that conspiracies are rampant! Another sister is a level headed skeptic who probably (and I say probably because I haven’t asked her, but I imagine about her) that she believes there just isn’t enough conclusive evidence to show that there IS a conspiracy and ergo, none can exist.

I would like to think that I believe somewhere in between. I know that people believe in conspiracies and secret societies because it’s what makes sense to them- it’s a matter of choice, of faith and of what you want to believe.

To some- the madness of the world just seems so overwhelming and they marvel at the power that some people have- it’s unimaginable just how they could get to that situation- so they fill in the blanks with conjecture about men in robes chanting in Latin and Esperanto.

To others- the belief that all the great decisions are made by a bunch of rich white men at Yale scares them to their very core- that the acceptance of such theories is too unattractive.

And to some- they speculate those secret societies are just beer drinking contests for over-grown eight year olds who would hand a scribbled sign outside their tree house door “NO GURLS!- Fraus Verbotten!”

I suppose the latter is one that I would believe the most in. We all have a place in the world that we want to protect and the way some protect their own place is by excluding others not like them. Is it right? I’m not one to judge that. People feel comfortable with those they somehow identify with- be it due to education, intellect, faith or heritage, or even something as general as hobby, political view or sex.

So- you can lock me out of your women’s only gyms; but know that yourself wide open to those conspiracy buffs who believe that you’re suppressing alternative fuels, staging moon landings, and killing off Kennedys and Princesses. Come to think of it- where was the Manager of the Dufferin Women’s only Goodlife when Christopher Reeve died yesterday?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your little black-eyed pea is cravin' you too, but i'd like to agree with your obviously more in-tune sister ;) who believes in secret societies and conspiracies. it's true, they exist, they're out there - in fact they're watching you right now and reading this... muhahahahah!! sk

Tuesday, October 12, 2004 2:54:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home