Monday, June 13, 2005

Amazon tours

This weekend I took the plunge and made my first Amazon purchase. It's been a long time coming, and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

At any rate- I bought three great books that I'm looking forward to reading. Yes- all of the non-fiction. I'm kind of a non-fiction junkie- all of my favorite books seem to be non-fictions. Maybe it has something to do with also loving documentaries. I saw a great one this weekend

Game over: Kasparov versus the Machine. I've talked about a common view of technology before- how so many people feel that it's man versus machine. Is this just an extension of the 'us and them' mentality? In the movie there were a number of references to man's struggle against the machine and eventual defeat. The simple fact that men can create a machine which can excel should not be a point of fear for us- it should be a point of celebration!

I guess something that's very common to human nature is a knee-jerk resistance to change and the unknown, even if it's completely baseless. I know I've been guilty of it too- I've been resistant to living in residences next year, but I guess I realize that it's probably not economically viable to not live in res- due to the prohibitive price of rent in Dublin. Add to the fact that I don't have a roommate or 3 exacerbates the problem.

I'll find a way to manage- and probably end up enjoying it immensely. Speaking of things I enjoy immensely- one thing that I'm not enjoying immensely these days is running.

It's hot, sticky, humid, and smog thick enough to choke on. The Beady eyed friend keeps telling me I'm going to collapse of heat stroke on my run. I think she's secretly hoping I do just to prove her right ;P

I had a wonderful run through High Park on Saturday. I don't recall ever being there before, so after running through there, touring around, whizzing through the zoo, through trails, and by people fishing in the pond, I headed out the South end and ran along the Lake to Queen's Quay where I took the subway back home.

And I didn't collapse even once...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting into grad school, and I think it is awesome that you are going away to Dublin to do it. What an experience it will be!! I am too tied down now to do something like that. I really enjoy reading your Blog and hearing about what is going on your life.

Take care,

M

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 3:13:00 a.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks M-
I was just wonderring- Who are you? :) Not that I mind you reading; that's what it's for, but I'm curious!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 2:19:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home