Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Cabbies make me Crabbies

As most people know about me- the only group of people I'm prejudiced against is cabbies. I'm not saying that I don't have compassion for them- I mean, they work like dogs to feed their families- I'm just saying that I really really don't like them- Not driving on the street. Not talking to them in person. Nothing!

My first bad run in with a cab was when I was 20 years old and filled with self-righteous moralism. I was taking a Womyn's studies class as an elective (easy A's for all males in the class) and umbrageous about social injustices! This cabbie picked me up from the train station on a visit home from University. We pulled up to a stop light and he looked into the next car beside us shouted "Hey baby! Why don't you come here and sit on my cock!"
If that's not enough- I had to pay with Credit card because I was out of cash (Now where did the other cash go???? Where-oh-WHERE would a University student spend money on a long weekend??? beer, perhaps?) and this... colorful gentleman (I use that term loosely) tried to rip me off!


Second run-in, I was jogging on the sidewalk and go to cross a street and a cab came out of no where and had to slam on his breaks to keep from hitting me- and almost didn't hit me... almost. I got a bruise on the side of my kneecap and a sore throat from screaming at him.

Third- I was in a cab and he was driving erratically- no- Maniacally! I asked
"Is there a reason you're driving like this?"
He answered something to the degree of "I'm just showing some hustle!"

I actually had a question that stumped him in response to that: "Are you certain it's safe to drive like this???" He didn't have an answer because he knew it's NOT safe to drive like that.

The final one- I was driving up Spadina between Eglinton and the Village. I was going about 40 because it's a school zone- and a Taxi was not just behind me- he was tailgating me! It made me feel pretty uncomfortable, but I decided to try to ignore it. So- driving along- I see a squirrel in the middle of the road and slow down suddenly to not make roadkill. The cabbie had to slam on his brakes to avoid me. The Cabbie obviously thought I was being malicious because he then sped into the oncoming traffic lane until he passed me and suddenly slammed on his brakes as soon as he was in front of me. Luckily- I didn't hit him- but I did politely and ask him to pull over so I could have a word with him. I even called him 'sir'. "Go Fuck yourself you fucking asshole!!!!" was his response. Classy!

So- even after all that- cabbies are generally the worst, most inconsiderate and dangerous drivers on the road.

Now they block off the routes to the Airports and want our sympathy???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home