Friday, June 17, 2005

I fought the Law...

I got a parking ticket the other day.

Did I deserve it?
absolutely!
Why?
Gross stupidity!
Did that stop me from fighting the ticket?
Hell no!
Why not?
I paid the 6 bucks so that I wouldn't have to pay the $30 fine. Just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I should pay more, does it?

I'm an idiot because the parking billet come in two sections- The receipt and the ticket. They are separated by a perforated down the centre. Thus allowing people to display the ticket inside the vehicle and pocket the receipt to double check when their parking is expired.

Silly me- the Chuckle-head extraordinaire pocketed the ticket and displayed the receipt face up on my dash.

I do have a great excuse for my complete knuckle-headery. It was Saturday after my run, so my head was still foggy with dehydration.

In the end- I went to the Parking Control office this morning on my way to work armed with the receipt, the ticket and the fine. Everyone else at the other kiosks were angry and shouting and pleading and swearing!!

Luckily- my years in business have taught me something very valuable- if you want something- smile!

A kiosk is available immediately, and it was staffed by a man... so much for flirting my way out of a ticket (I've done that before). I smiled as I approached- but not too broadly- Too broadly would be contrived. I make eye contact and ask how he is. I give him my ticket, receipt and fine, say please, say thank you.

I tell him that the ticket must have flipped over when I closed the door, so it was face down... I am so going to hell for that lie.

He told me he didn't want to make a habit out this- but he'll let me off this one time. I thanked him profusely and wished him a nice weekend... at least- I hope I wished him a nice weekend- I was probably so happy I might have wished him happy birthday.

As long as I didn't threaten to anally violate him unless he cleans up his mis-en-place, I guess it was alright...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home