Tuesday, July 26, 2005

New Job: Motivational Speaker.

Yesterday as I was walking into the grocery store (I desperately needed baby Spinach and oranges) I bumped into an old neighbor from across the street who commented that I always look so positive and energetic. And we chatted for a few moments before she started lamenting that she can't get into the gym or bring herself to work out. She described how she was a prisoner of her home because she feels like she can't leave the house because of how she looks and just skipped her high school reunion because she was ashamed. She felt like it was too long since she's been a healthy weight and that she'll never be healthy.

I can't even fathom how horrible she must feel about herself- she wasn't a bad looking lady- she just looked like she could take better care of herself.

It didn't take long to convince her that entire industries have been built on helping people fall in love with fitness and there are legions of people who make it their job in life to keep their clients motivated and hitting the gym and reaching and their fitness goals.

I told her that Curves differentiates itself as being a 'first gym' for out of shape women to fall in love with fitness and then they graduate on to Goodlife, Bally's, Sports Clubs of Canada, Premier, JCC, YMCA, or any of the many many others.

And it's probably not so much that Goodlife is a bad gym as it is that the St.Clair location is abysmally mismanaged.

Anyways- after convincing her that the odds were stacked in her favor and enlisting the help of a personal trainer and joining a gym would keep her on the right track, and encouraging her to promise herself that she would only watch CSI if she was on her treadmill- she beamed said "I feel like I just got a talk by Anthony Robbins!"




Fah! I'm much better looking than him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ewwww, oranges. feh!

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:42:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

It's not enough to just dislike the oranges! You have to believe until you achieve! You must blast your ass and crank the power and kick it up a notch, BAM!

Man- I really sound like a weenie...

Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:06:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't sound like a motivational speaker - you are one!

Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:47:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey! You can't fool me! You just called me a weenie!

Concieve, Believe, Achieve.
There's no 'I' in team, but there's plenty of T & A.

Holy Shit- I AM A WEENIE!!!

Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:54:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home