Friday, August 26, 2005

Stupid Battle of the Sexes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

A Psychologist at Manchester University said that he proved that Men are in fact smarter than women. However- the only proof he provides is IQ tests.

I think that's an indication of his own intelligence if he believes that IQ tests are an accurate indication of intelligence. Since when are IQ tests any indication of intelligence except for the myopic version that's ultimately flawed?

There's certainly other ways to be clever and intelligent smart and even brilliant than can be measured by the test, and ways that will ultimately serve you better in career, relationships and life.

I'm thinking specifically about Strategic smarts and People smarts. I've known few men who can compete with women on the strategy smarts and people smarts level. From what I understand, women immerse themselves in strategic rich situations from very early on, cliquing off, being catty, forming alliances, so they have way more practice at it than guys. Also- from what I understand, psychologists say that women are more empathetic which make them able to read others better, and adapt to them quickly and understand their motivations. Women are also more detail oriented- which is a powerful advantage for relationships and career.

I'm not one to frequently generalize about the sexes, and to be truthful, I often find it slightly distasteful in others (maybe because it's often more vitriol than observation), but I was talking with a CEO of a small consulting company the other day- a very adventurous fellow and a successful entreprenuer. He marvels at the ease with which women wield power. They are the real decision makers, and it's not just confined to Lady MacBeth. I've known for a while to listen to the Beady Eyed friend when she gives advice (and boy- does she love giving out advice), and I've found when she does- it's bang on, and I'm not a stupid or clueless man. I've always beleieved that in order to have a successful relationship- you just need to find a woman who's smarter than you. Now- it's pretty tough for me, and I admit with all due modesty that my pickings of people of both sexes smarter than me is incredibly sparse.

So- let men have their IQ's higher by 5 points- women still have the smarts where it really counts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's always misleading to try and generalize about which gender is "smarter". I have known a few people with IQs off the map, and well, frankly they usually turn out to be a little psycho or socio pathic. There's a tendency to misuse their intelligence as a means to manipulate others...so sad... :-(

Monday, August 29, 2005 5:40:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

It's actually a little freaky you say that- I said the exact same thing in a tribe (www.tribe.net) posting just a few minutes ago... Someone was talking about a 187 IQ. I guess with hyper-genius comes 1) A frustration because the world either doesn't understand or doesn't appreciate your genius, and this frustration easily turns to bitterness, 2) a certain sense of entitlement for roles and leadership that require experience, people skills or other special skills that the genius doesn't necessarily possess and 3) They are probably very very sad and lonely people who feel isolated and that no one is really on their level.

Monday, August 29, 2005 5:51:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home