Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tuesdays with Book Reviews

The big wedding this weekend was a great success. I performed my toast and it got laughs, which is good.

The whole weekend was a bit of a whirlwind, with the dinner the night before, the brunch the next day, plus a friend's birthday Barbecue I'm looking forward to spending an evening without distraction just zoning out and eating pizza.

Maybe I'll rent a DVD but I'm entirely unsure if there's anything of quality currently available.

Then of course there's reading instead, but I'm not certain if my brain wants Jane Jacob's octogenarian radical rantings or Malcolm Gladwell's sole use of anecdotal evidence to support ludicrous premises and repeated support of a larger issue. I mean- there's thorough and then there's spending 300 pages to illustrate a point that someone can say in 4 words:

trust your first impression.

Don't get me wrong- I love Malcolm Gladwell... I love him, but I tonight I just want something like Harry Potter, but I already finished number 6. Of course- there's still Tuesdays with Morrie which is turning out to be a sleeper hit for me. It's extremely engaging, sweet, soulful, and thoughtful without being preachy unlike some authors who shall remain nameless and without pretension, repetition, namedropping and haphazard slinging of anecdotes, unlike other authors who shall remain nameless.

I guess there's my answer on what to do tonight.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

try reading the curious incident of the dog in the night-time. that was *great* and a nice easy read.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:52:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Tuesdays with Morrie is not the same book as that.

Besides- that sounds like Fiction *shudder*

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 8:48:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*YOU'RE* fiction!! argh!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:08:00 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Since I know you're a Gladwell fan, have you discovered his talks on ITConversations yet?

One of them:
http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail230.html

Do a search on their site and you'll find 2 more, I think.

It's one thing to read the book... it's another to hear him talk! :)

Saturday, August 13, 2005 4:25:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home