Thursday, January 05, 2006

Laziness with Intensity

I’m loving my time off.

Now that I’m done my assignments as well- I’m enjoying my lethargy… more or less.

I’m not wasting away into a blissful acedia, as there are always things that need to be done- and frankly- I’m not certain I’m a lie around kinda guy. So- I am just enjoying reading tons- I am devouring a novel or two a week.





The Kite Runner Surprised me and shocked me just how wonderful it could be. It's veridical, and beautiful, and shameful, and sublime. It gave me a real apreciation for all the characters- they seemed tangible and material. The plot was meaty and eventful with plot twists that sometimes hurt worse than Beady Eyed's nipple twists...


What can I say about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime? I have never related so deeply to a book character... except Rainman... It's laugh out loud funny and a great read- also gives you a new perspective on special needs people and how society treats them.


Samson (his blog at the side) has lent me Season 2 of 24. I've never seen it before, but it didn't take long to get addicted to it! All I can say is that the hype is well deserved! And Jack Bauer- any man that can survive getting kidnapped by militia, kidnapped by his wife's murder (after he saves her, no less) a plane crash, a nuclear explosion, getting tortured to death only to be brought back to life- all on the day he shaves off his beard... well- Let me put this way "Note to self- Don't fuck with Jack Bauer..."

Um- sorry if i spoiled the plot for anyone there...


So- yeah- I had an awesome time with the Family last week in Dublin. I went into town every day and spent the day with them and shuttled back at night. We saw amazing museums, and took in the cultural side of Ireland. More than just Leprechauns and drunks, ya know... More about that next post...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. nipple twists? isn't a private activity something that should remain private and not broadcast to the whole world? come on! oh and was i the one that got you the dog in the nighttime book? if so, take out nipple twists and give me credit for that instead. hrmph. -Grumpy B

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:58:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Awwww! Beady- I didn't mean to embarrass you, sorry Shmoops! If I recall- you didn't get me the Dog in the Night time book- I got it myself with a gift card- but you were with me, and I bought it because you were recomending it highly- ei: Forcing it down my throat :P

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:13:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, forcing things down your throat seems to work. especially since i'm usually right about stuff. see. told you you'd like it. why are people so stubborn? why do they just refuse to see how right i am. *sigh* - B

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:21:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Yes- of course you're right! And yes- you're right about always being right. It's one of the things I miss most about you, Beady. One of the things I miss least is the nipple twists...

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:26:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home