Monday, November 01, 2004

Scary Blog

Last Night was Halloween- and it passed with barely a nod of acknowledgement form me. I didn’t dress up, I didn’t give out Candy. I didn’t even eat any sweets (unless you consider a sublime pistachio encrusted goat cheese salad in balsamic vinegar accompanied by strawberries and hazelnuts over fresh organic greens to be sweets).

Someone (I don’t recall who) mused yesterday that it didn’t feel like Halloween to them because multiculturalism was killing Halloween. After giving it some thought- I decided it’s a spurious causal statement- and here’s why:

It doesn’t feel like Halloween to the person because they were attending a fine birthday party at a restaurant that served great salads and made excellent Souvlaki. When you’re a kid- October’s big thing is Halloween! That’s what it does! It’s a time to think about your costume, to watch Halloween cartoon Specials and to think about all the candy you’re going to get!

When you’re pushing 30- stuffing yourself with candy might hold a little less appeal- I mean- it might be fun, but looking forward to a candy pig-out day since July is well- perhaps not widely practiced.

Then another thought occurred to me. Like an epiphany- it all suddenly made sense!
The reason why kids run around in the outside all day
The reason they squirm when their parents drag them to church, synagogue or mosques.
The reason why Halloween is so important
Why kids are so big on Christmas presents

Kids are really all in the closet Pagans!! You little runts can’t deny it! My eyes have seen the light about you ankle biters!

Halloween is not what you’re excited about- it’s all a rouse to cover up your celebration of the Festival of Samhain! Christmas presents are actually an ancient custom of sharing the Harvest performed on the Winter Solstice which falls on December 21. Nice try, half pints!

Your squirm at church, synagogue and mosques because you are pagans and listening to a Cleric wax divine about the glory of a monotheistic lord sickens you and eats away at your conscious like a Beady eyed friend of mine eats away at Dark Chocolate! Don’t you? Don’t you???!!!

Finally- running around all day is your way of connecting with Mother Gaia. Isn’t it?? Admit it!!!

Well- to all you kids I say happy Festival of Samhain and to the rest of you monotheists, agnostics and atheists alike- I say happy Halloween!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all i would, at the risk of being crude, venture to say that the sweets you were munching on last night included far greater delicacies than goat-cheese salad *nudge nudge wink wink say no more*

Second, I will also add that the self-same beady-eyed somebody was indeed the one who said that multi-culturalism is killing Halloween, merely as fodder for generating discussion and not as a serious-intentioned observation, and not as a cause for it not *feeling* like Halloween.

As for the evils of pushing 30 and still stuffing yourself with candy - ahem - speak for yourself!! *LOL*

finally, I'll just put forth that Samhain probably has more to do with Pan than Gaia... but that's just my own humble opinion...

signed, a certain beady-eyed someone who you seem unable to recall ;)

Monday, November 01, 2004 4:08:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I thought it was the woman on my left that mused about multiculturalism killing the holiday instead of the beday eyed- babe on my right. I sit corrected.

Monday, November 01, 2004 4:14:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home