Friday, January 13, 2006

Lucky little Canadian Jew

Well- here it is- the final non-weekend day before school starts up again.

I have already started my course preparations reading a chapter on International Business and Strategic management and am muddling my way through a couple of articles on strategy.

Truth be told- classes actually start today with the Friday Lecture of Media in the 21st century- an elective that I passed on, so several of my classmates will be converging on the management Campus later- while I flee the management campus for rugby practice. Perhaps playing rugby isn't the wisest decision of activity for Friday the 13th, but then I remember that I am indeed not a Knight of the Templar (not that I can admit in the open forum), so I probably will be safe.

I am having an awesome time reading Plot against America by Philip Roth. I probably will have less time to read it come Monday. Something I realized while reading it is that I miss my Jewish connection. Back in North America I was surrounded by fellow yids, and ensured participation in the community by attending religious services every Friday for Kabbalat Shabbat (That's welcoming the Sabbath for those not up on their Hebrew). I sent an email to the rabbi this week and touched base.

He told me that I missed, and encouraged me to seek out and hook up with other Jews... There are two other ancestral Jews in the program with me. Well- depending on your interpretation of ancestral- they are patrimonial derived, which makes their Judaism moot by some interpretations of Jewish law. At any rate- I am participating in some very Jewish activities- corporate finance for example and have found a large spring of klezmer music online that I listen to while I study whenever I need a dose of Judaism, just like whenever I need my dose of Canadiana I listen to Neko Case and read the Globe and Mail online. Looks like the crooks are going to win the election coming up... No- not those crooks- the other ones-

And of course Canadians are polarized and indignant about the whole process... However if we want true leadership in the country; non-crooked, non-partisan process with high levels of participation- we're going to need more than luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home